Thursday, November 1, 2012

Real Cough Drops

the "fresh"cough drops going into the oven to dry at low temperature
Last native plant class; we made cough drops.

I was born to do things like this. I love to make things that I have never thought of making. Who ever saw a recipe for cough drops?

So. we ground up: fennel, marshmallow, irish moss, fenugeek, liquorish, astragelas*. Then we repeatedly sifted it. (all under the watchful eye of our fabulous instructor, Dina Falconi.) Then we added honey and just enough water to make a paste. And then, we rolled little balls of the mixture similar to when you make truffles. (except a little smaller as you want these delicacies to be able to ease down the throat and to dissolve, etc)

Then, you figure out a way to dry them; I used my oven on some sort of setting below its bottom temperature and I even left the door open. Dry for a few hours. This was a very intuitive part of the process. They can be stored in an airtight jar, or if you are worried that you may not have quite properly dried them, store them in the refrigerator.

No flu shots for me thank-you. I have hand-rolled cough drops.

*pardon spelling please

No comments:

Post a Comment