Wednesday, June 6, 2012

OK, so I am a jaded homeschool mom. But I am sure that I am not the only mom out there who just does not think that the following sounds fun. One of the e-lists that I am on for local homeschool networking has just gone mad of late with messages flying every few minutes about summer get together ideas and possibilities.  I almost hit "unsubscribe" today after the 20th message came through, and then thought I'd give the group the benefit of the doubt. But by night time, my generosity had worn thin and I got seized with the idea of typing out my thoughts in relation to all the enthusiastic suggestions. (I've changed the names to protect the guilty)


I was asking Mary and Carl her kids their opinions of places to go during hot or stormy weather, and they like the idea of alternating places...a park with a pool, a park with sprinklers, a park with a beach and lake; a roller rink, a bowling alley, a bounce house... These last 3 are venues to avoid like the plague aren't they? Aren't bounce houses pretty specifically geared for under 10's? or maybe even younger?? My youngest is 11. And not too interested in a bounce house.
 
Do your kids feel the same? No, thank god.
 
Some initial investigating finds that "kids bowl free" (if you sign up) all summer at many local lanes, including Del Lanes in Smithville and Hoe Bowl in Freeport, and both have open lanes when we usually meet.  (The one in Freeportl is about 4 minutes away from a terrific waterfront park/playground which has a food/ice cream stand and outdoor concerts Thursday nights! "Food" needs clarifying here. I'm pretty certain that was is being served up at this location does not qualify as "food" in our house.
  I would love to go from one to the other.) And I would love to bang my head repeatedly with a hammer.
    Rollarama roller skating rink in Kingston This is only an hour and 10 minutes away!
 offers "Family Night" every Thursday, with a family of 4 paying only $12 for the entire family ($3 for each person over that), plus $3 skate rental if needed.  (Much cheaper than Rollarama's, and much cheaper food as well. Again, we probably have different ideas about the merits of this cheap food.
)  The down side is that it doesn't start until 6:30,not from my point of view as that might be enough to stop me from going
 but I still think a lot of the kids would go for that.  "Bounce Around" in South Mall offers group rates...Still waiting for someone to remind me of where that other bounce place is. It won't be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment